Apple Warns of Shock From iPod, iPhone

Apple is warning users of the iPod and iPhone that they could well receive a small and quick electrical (static) shock from their earbuds while using the devices.

Apple issued a warning on its site that goes something like this –

When using headphones in areas where the air is very dry, it is easy to build up static electricity and possible for your ear to receive a small electrostatic discharge from the headphones. Receiving a static shock from a pair of earbuds does not necessarily indicate an issue with the iPod, iPhone, or earbuds.

This condition is very similar to dragging your feet across a carpet and receiving a static shock by touching a door knob. However, instead of the static charge building up on your body, the charge builds up on the device that the earbuds are connected to. Likewise, instead of the static buildup discharging through your finger when you touch a door knob, it discharges through the earbuds.

It goes on to mention that this condition is not limited to Apple hardware and that static can potentially build up on almost any hardware and could be discharged using any brand of earbuds.

The warning then goes on to list the things iPod and iPhone users should do to avoid receiving a shock.

A discussion thread on the company’s support shows a number of people expressing their concern over the issue and some even complaining of receiving those shocks.